Please watch this video to see how to bulk upload assets, or follow the instructions below:
This document explains how to bulk upload assets using a .csv file.
Download a Blank Spreadsheet
To download a blank spreadsheet:
- Click the Assets tab then click the Bulk Upload Assets button on the right hand side.
- Click Download Template button
This spreadsheet will then download as a .csv file.
Editing the Spreadsheet
The first two rows will represent any fields that are available for your customer's assets (this includes any field name changes and/or custom fields that have been added to the asset information view). These rows must remain completely un-edited in order for the system to recognise the upload correctly.
The Upload file will need to be saved with UTF-8 formatting to ensure that all characters are displayed correctly by all browsers.
Make sure the date/time column is formatted as text so that it does not change what you have typed. Do this by selecting the relevant column, clicking the drop-down arrow next to Number Format command on the Home tab. The Number Formatting drop-down menu will appear. Select Text format from the list. Those cells will now be in text format.
Some fields are required and must be filled in otherwise the system will give an error and stop any assets being uploaded. The following fields are system wide requirements and must be chosen from a predefined list of options.
- Asset Language (not case sensitive)
- Current options to choose from: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
- Asset Currency (not case sensitive)
- Current options to choose from: EUR, GBP or USD
- Bidlogix Configuration (Case Sensitive)
- This depends on the customer set up. If you are not sure, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following are Required Fields that are asset specific, i.e. not system settings but must be filled in to be unique for each asset:
- Asset Title
- Location (see the next section for more information)
Please note: These fields can be customised per customer and may appear with a different title. Your customer may be set up to have other fields as Required Fields (marked by in the asset creation screen), which must also be completed in order for the upload to be successful.
(If you are not sure of your required fields or would like to make changes, please contact email@example.com.)
Most fields are case sensitive (such as groups, locations, bidlogix configuration, etc.) so as a precaution, make sure you match the case of the designation option for each field. Hints are given in the second row for each field.
Editing the Spreadsheet - Locations
Locations requirements when uploading are very specific and must be adhered to in order to have success when uploading.
When bulk uploading assets you must first know whether your locations are predefined or non-predefined.
- Predefined locations require that you enter the exact format of the location levels when using bulk upload.
- Non-predefined locations require you to leave this field blank. You must input the locations for your assets using bulk edit after uploading.
Completing the Spreadsheet - Dos and Don'ts
- Where possible, do not include the characters & < > or \. These will not be properly recognised by the system and will instead print their escaped version i.e. "&". This applies for all fields.
- Make sure you enter locations correctly (see above). Specifically, check for and remove any extra spaces, and make sure levels are separated by a forward slash ( / ).
- Ensure that you have entered the configuration correctly.
- Do not use comas, full stops or currency symbols within numerical fields such as Display Price field.
- Do not use text in numerical fields, etc.
- You can remove columns from the spreadsheet providing they are not Required fields (see the Editing the Spreadsheet section above.)
- Make sure you use ID numbers instead of titles where appropriate, such as the Categories field.
Uploading the Spreadsheet
Once you have edited and saved your upload file navigate back to the Upload Assets screen.
Next click on the Choose File button > Select the CSV file from your computer > click the Upload New Assets button (see image below).
If the upload is successful you will be notified as per the image below, otherwise the system will clearly display the errors that require editing.
If your assets require editing, complete the edits then repeat these upload instructions.
Once you have a success message, all of the uploaded assets will now be found within the Assets screen in a Draft status.
If you received an error message stating that the upload did not complete, the error will be explained and action must be taken. Once you have addressed the error(s), attempt the upload again.